Wednesday 30 January 2013

Self medicating?!

So today is stirring up a lot for me.....

I've had many people already contact me expressing that they feel the same way as me, and totally understand where I'm coming from. Makes it even more important to stand up and talk about this weird condition. It really is an elephant in the mind, nobody wants to talk about it, even though we know its there. Why is that? Why is there such a huge stigma? I'd love to know people's thoughts on this.......

I'd love to have an off switch to my mind, mmmmm some silence! 

So I have tried many things in the fight against anxiety, some have been hugely helpful. I know we're all different and have our own kinds of anxiety, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. 

* Yoga - took me a while to get into yoga, but I did find it pretty helpful. Typically I've been ill for the most part of January so haven't done ANY. Fool. As you may know yourself, with anything that makes you feel better, persistence is the key. Must try harder!

* Better diet - We all know this, it's a fact, the less processed the better. Easier said than done when you feel like shit though, lets be honest! 

*Malteasers - Well, they make me happy! Chuck a bunny I'm the mix and even better!

* St. John's Wort - Ok this is fairly new to me. Being ridiculously anxious for over 4 months started to wear me down (naturally), so I was feeling a bit low. Did some research, and came across this. So I bought some and gave it a go. Now you have to be careful with this. It interacts with plenty of other medications, some of the main ones being antidepressants, anti anxiety meds and the contraceptive pill. I only managed to take half a pill for two days before I got prescribed antibiotics, so I had to stop taking them. It can interfere with certain antibiotics so I thought better safe than sorry.  I have high hopes for these, so I will keep you updated. Not sure about any of you guys but I definitely have anxieties about taking ANY medication, freaks me out.....so it was a struggle to even take one, hence why I bit it in half! Anyone have any good thoughts on these? Be interested to hear. Oh and I must say, I saw a lot of comments about the quality of the product. I bought a brand called Kira One a Day - Low mood relief - 450mg. Best on the market apparently. 

* Supplements - Have researched a lot and have heard good things about a few supplements. Omega 3, MUST be good quality, I bought 1000mg capsules and you can take up to 3 a day. Apparently high DHA is a big benefit, so look out for that! 
Vitamin B12, now these help support nerve tissues and brain cells, also promoting better sleep. Heard good things about B12! 
Magnesium, this helps towards normal function of the nervous system and normal psychological function (I could do with a bit of that!!!!) and also helps with the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. 

*Aerobic exercise - This does help for me because it helps to burn off the excess adrenalin I seem to produce. Also good for clearing the mind. Only downfall is that I suffer with lazyitis, AKA, I can't be bothered syndrome. Oooops. 

SO......! As I am so full of tips and useful things that actually work, I guess I better get too it and get cracking. I want to keep you all informed and let you know how it goes. I'm on antibiotics until the weekend, and then I'm out partying on Saturday, so lets just be frank and admit I'll be starting on Monday! 

So the plan is : 

Back into the yoga, running and swimming (eeek), taking all my supplements as listed above and get my bloody diet sorted. WISH ME LUCK!

Ps.....aware I have rambled, but some of you may find it helpful :) 

1 comment:

  1. Just thought is mention where I got my supplements from. The magnesium just from Tesco - 300mg once a day. The B12 was from Amazon, the brand is called Jarrow Formulas, 1000mg in a lozenge form. The omega 3 was from my local health food shop, just look for a high quality one with high levels do DHA. Krill oil apparently is equally as good. And the St Johns Wort was from Amazon too, brand called Kira :-) x

    ReplyDelete