Thursday 18 April 2013

Great, big, dirty label........

MENTAL HEALTH

What a lovely, distressing title. So this post is not intended to offend anyone or play down the seriousness of anyone's issues or conditions. This is purely my own thougths about my own condition. 

I'm going to use me as am example for this, as I obviously know me best! 

I'm your average 26 year old female, had an average upbringing with parents who got divorced and some naughty siblings, went to school, underachieved for my academic abilities but went on nethertheless to build a successful business. I had friends, they chopped and changed, I went to college, I had jobs, I went out and got wasted, moved out, boyfriends. All your fairly mormal stuff! But the difference is, when time gets tough for me through certain situations, strange things happen. My mild 'worrier' personality can develop into a panic disorder and pure O OCD. (Pure O OCD is obsessive, intrusive thoughts about great fears to the individual that are scary and constant). I do have an over sensitive imagination all of the time, always have. But I wouldn't class that as a problem, that is just ME. 

To me, I suffer emotionally, when I have too much going on that I struggle to deal with. So wouldn't it be fair to say I have Emotional Health problems? Mental health is a big, bold statement. And I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, I know I can have problems that can be debilitating at times, but I don't think this label fits for me. 

It makes me feel scared, frightened and it makes me feel WORSE. It makes me scan the Internet for signs of mental illnesses, thus provoking my thoughts further. When to me, it seems, my little episodes of feeling like this, is my body and minds way of dealing what's going on. It certainly stops me worrying about anything else in my life, I'm too busy focusing on it! 

I am me, I am a worrier, I do fear danger and getting hurt. This to me is a personality trait, not a condition. It only becomes a problem when life gets too much. But we forget, I am human, and so are you. We are allowed to be distressed. After all, I don't think we've evolved enough yet to live in the lifestyle we do. This isn't what was meant for us, social media, TV, fake airbrushing, unrealistic expectations, the want want WANT for all these possessions. 

When the shit hits the fan, and I'm not 100%, I panic I have a mental health disorder, which leads to all sorts of scary thoughts. 

So I'm giving myself a new label. I have an Emotional Health disorder. 

The power of thinking.......incredible. 

X

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your posts. So honest and something i can relate to.xx

    ReplyDelete